Tuli Can't Stop Talking

These are just my thoughts on contemporary issues and an attempt to open up a dialogue.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York City

A citizen who cares deeply about the United States Constitution and the Rule of Law.

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Justice Stevens

How appropriate that we call him “Justice.” I really enjoyed reading Jeffrey Rosen’s profile of John Paul Stevens in today’s NYT’s Magazine. The title of the article is “The Dissenter.” With this version of the U.S. Supreme Court that is quite the compliment for our Senior Justice. But as we all know he is not a “Liberal” nor does he consider himself one. That dramatically shows just how far right the court has turned. None-the-less I for one am very pleased and reassured that Justice Stevens is in excellent health of mind and body. Not to mention his family’s history of longevity. Who would have thunk that in 1975?

The Supremes are, though a most important part of the third branch of government, for the most part a “secret society.” So any break in Omerta is much appreciated. And Justice Stevens being viewed as a liberal, who was appointed by Republican President Ford, is most interesting, comforting, and appalling all at the same time.

In the same edition the NYT’s Book Review has David Margolick’s review of Jeffrey Toobin’s “The Nine: Inside the Secret World of the Supreme Court.” Now I haven’t read the book and I often find Toobin just a tad too impressed with himself, but after reading the review I want to read the book if just for the gossip. I found the “Brethren” enlightening and nodded along as I read “Closed Chambers.” For some reason, mostly having to do with Jan Greenberg’s deference to SCOTUS, I have little interest in her recent tome. Though I must admit her title “Supreme Conflict” is catchy. Maybe at sometime in the future I will pick it up as I am a groupie for all things SCOTUS!

That said read the article on our Senior Justice at SCOTUS. And do take a look at the review of Toobin’s book which might lead you to purchasing his book. You might learn something about one of the most important institutions of government which effects your life. Not to mention an institution that operates behind closed doors.

What does that say about the state of our so called “democracy”?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, want to read Toobin's book because I heard him being interviewed on NPR and he revealed some interesting points about the working of SCOTUS. Especially, when he talks about O'Connor and the partisan court that stole the election for Bush in 2000.

History is full of accidents that push the flow of events in different directions, and SCOTUS (thanks a lot) gave the keys to Bush... the rest is, well, history!

5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home