Tuli Can't Stop Talking

These are just my thoughts on contemporary issues and an attempt to open up a dialogue.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York City

A citizen who cares deeply about the United States Constitution and the Rule of Law.

Sunday, July 06, 2008

It Seems Like Yesterday

On June 30, 1995 Phyllis Hyman took her life. Thirteen years later I still can’t believe it. I admired her as a performer and a person. She was so talented and so beautiful with a wit and intelligence that wowed anyone who knew her. Unfortunately she was torn between who she was and what she thought she should be.

I first met Phyllis when she was performing at Mikkel’s on the Upper West Side. I nearly fell over when she sang “Body Heat” by QJ. She was so tall and elegant and shy. During those days she mostly did standards and contemporary songs. This was also before the era of Broadway, her hats and costumes. She wore simple and elegant clothes, not outfits, and they added and did not detract from the elegant stylist that she was. Frankly she reminded me of a young and very contemporary Ms. Nancy Wilson. Well actually Ms. Wilson reminded me of Phyllis.

Back in the day we would often commiserate about many things. I also got to know some of her most devoted friends and cohorts who likewise were wonderful. I didn’t know at the time about her bi-polar problem as it never was evident to me. I don’t think she knew she had that problem either. She never alluded to it. Actually she seemed pretty together and stable and I saw her on a practically daily basis during the seventies.

In the pre-internet days she had the best set of tubes on the planet.

I don’t want to lose you:

And yet we lost you! Phyllis, I miss you so much. I still can’t get over it. And I know I am not the only one, though I feel it personally.

And yes I am in a Sentimental Mood:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home