Tuli Can't Stop Talking

These are just my thoughts on contemporary issues and an attempt to open up a dialogue.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York City

A citizen who cares deeply about the United States Constitution and the Rule of Law.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Music In My Life!

You can always tell, I think, when and how someone grew-up by their favorite music. Now, my mother introduced me to opera and operettas at a rather early age. By ten I was singing the “Drinking Song” from the Student Prince, faking my way through Puccini’s arias in Madame Butterfly, and let’s not forget “I Am a Very Model of a Modern Major General.” She introduced me to all types of culture and music and as a result I love most kinds of music, though I am not very fond of Gangsta Rap.

When I was growing up The Motown Sound and R&B was what we all danced to and as even my brother acknowledged, I was the best dancer he has ever known. Of course for a white boy from the burbs his perspective could be a little suspect. But, dance we did, and I had a regular partner, Harry. Harry’s mother was the Rev. Josephs, from Mt. Olive Church. She revived my early love of Gospel and introduced me to Clara Ward. No one has ever sung “Operator” like Ms. Ward.

Then came the Beatles with the British Invasion. One word describes it: Swoon! I had never really taken to any of the white boy groups before and it took me by surprise at how I took to the Beatles. Maybe it was because they took their inspiration from R&B. I don’t know, but love them I did and still do.

So, there are several songs by the Beatles as a group and as individuals that have a very special place in my heart. And for your viewing and listening pleasure I have put some of them here for you. There is Hey Jude, Let It Be, I’ve Got My Mind Set On You, and My Sweet Lord.

And just to show how far it goes, here is a link for juggling sent to me by a friend that brings a thrill and chill to my spine.

This is just the very short list. But like they say, it is still In My Life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home