Tuli Can't Stop Talking

These are just my thoughts on contemporary issues and an attempt to open up a dialogue.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York City

A citizen who cares deeply about the United States Constitution and the Rule of Law.

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

A Fish Without a Bicycle?



So, it appears that the social structures are changing. DUH, it is about time!

Back in the seventies I had a button which I often wore. One day while in the elevator of a corporate building, in which I worked, I had on my button which said, “A Woman Without A Man is Like a Fish Without a Bicycle.” This very corporate looking 50'ish guy in the elevator looked at me and said, “A fish doesn’t need a bicycle?” I said, “Right!” He was so confused and, from the look on his face, had absolutely no idea what I meant.

Well, it appears that women now know what I meant. And the NYT’s is reporting:

51% of Women Are Now Living Without Spouse

A large number of women are no longer defining themselves in relation to men and marriage. I think that is a good thing. I don’t know many men who define themselves by their relationship to women or marriage. Unfortunately, I still know too many women who still define themselves in relationship to the men in their lives.

So, any incremental move on the part of women to define themselves in relation to themselves is a bright moment for me.

Count me as one of those Fish!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home