Tuli Can't Stop Talking

These are just my thoughts on contemporary issues and an attempt to open up a dialogue.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York City

A citizen who cares deeply about the United States Constitution and the Rule of Law.

Sunday, January 21, 2007

There But for Fortune!

Empathy and history is what is missing in our public discourse folks.

Why is it so difficult for us to see the world from the “Other’s” perspective? Do we so lack imagination or empathy? We will never be able to understand the world until we can change our own point of view and pay attention to history?

Empathy and a historical perspective is necessary to working out our problems.

Crazy talk I know, but I can’t help it, and I can’t understand why we are so reluctant to engage in this crazy talk.

Because, as said by Pastor Niemoller: “first they came for … and when they came for me there was no one left to speak out.”

Why do we refuse to learn the lessons of History and why do we lack empathy?

There but for fortune history is repeating itself and we have not learned its lesson.

1 Comments:

Blogger George said...

Because for most of history humans were told not to trust "the others." Yes, the others who have strange customs and worship false gods. Not, only not to trust them, but be hostile to them as they pose a gave danger to all of us.

To me it's sooooo unreasonable to sacrifice humanity today in exchange for some promise of a better life ..later! And, to reduce "the others" into sub-humans so they can be dispatched with little trepidation.

I could never sacrifice passion for life, knowledge [I think the more educated the person the more likely to see the bigger picture of humanity] and empathy towards a fellow human being.

For all I know, this is it--heaven and hell--right here. Why waste precious moments in anger, hate and all sorts of destructive activities?!!

10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home